Some updates on my last post on sex addiction. Dr Patrick Carnes found that sex addicts do not perceive themselves as worthwhile persons and that they believe sex is their most important need. According to Dr Carnes, there are various levels of sex addiction.
Level One behaviours are those that are regarded as normal, acceptable and tolerable, and these include masturbation, pornography, prostitution and anonymous sex.
Level Two behaviours are clearly victimising and usually prohibited by law, such as flashing, vulgar phone calls and indecent liberties.
Level Three behaviours are those that carry grave consequences for the victims and legal consequences for the addict. These include incest, molextation or rape.
Is sex addict a disease or just an excuse or obsessive compulsive disorder.
Signs of Sex Addiction
1. Failure to resist impulse
2. More time spent on the behaviour
3. Time spent in activity increases
4. Preoccupation with preparation to carry out this behaviour
5. Unable to fulfill other obligations due to behaviour
6. Continuing despite problems in other areas of life
7. Has to increase the intensity or frequency of activities to achieve the same desired effect
8. Giving up or limiting some other activities ofr sexual activity
9. Distress, anxiety, restlessness or irritability if unable to engage in the behaviour.
Perhaps seeking treatment at a rehabilitation centre and a psychiatrists may be able to treat the underlying causes of the compulsion.
Source : The Singapore Women's Weekly - April 2010 issue